What Is Rose Gold and How Is It Created?

Rose gold makes a beautiful alternative to more traditional yellow or white gold. It radiates elegant, feminine tones, but where did it originate and how is rose gold created?

Graceful and understated, rose gold has seen a huge rise in popularity over the past few years and has been favoured by all kinds of celebrities. Intriguingly different from other forms of gold, it remains a favourable choice for jewellery makers and wearers alike. So, what is rose gold, and why is it so desirable?

The Origins of Rose Gold

The first notable use of rose gold — then referred to as “Russian Gold” — was by none other than Carl Fabergé in 19th century Russia. Famed for his iconic craftsmanship and unmistakable Fabergé eggs, the soft, pink hues of rose gold alluded to a more subtle and delicate aesthetic that would spur on its meteoric rise in popularity. Soon, women across the world wanted to embrace the charmingly feminine metal for their jewellery.

How Is Rose Gold Created?

Rose gold is created using a blend of yellow gold, copper and silver. These metals are used together to achieve rose gold’s unique tone, meaning that “pure” rose gold doesn’t exist. The different ratios of these metals create varying results, but rose gold is characterised by a soft pink colour.

In a rose gold “alloy” — a term used to describe any metal made by combining two or more metallic elements — around 75% is yellow gold, while the remaining 25% consists of copper and silver.  The more copper that’s used in the alloy, the more red and pink hues are found in the final product. While different ratios of these metals create varying results, the outcome is usually a lustrous pink and red tone.

Is Rose Gold Real Gold?

Rose gold is widely regarded as real gold even though it is created using other elements besides yellow gold. This isn’t to say that rose gold is less precious than other colours of gold, either. Although blended with other metals, its rarity makes it highly sought after and its price can vary depending on how it’s crafted. Whether it’s used to create an eye-catching Fabergé Egg Pendant or a stunning Diamond Engagement Ring (designed in-house by Frost of London), rose gold captivates the onlooker with its distinguished presence.

The Benefits of Buying Luxury Rose Gold Jewellery

Now highly stylish for both women and men, rose gold is considered by many to be romantic due to its colour — symbolising love, intimacy and passion. While rose gold needs no ornamentation to enhance its natural beauty, it’s often paired with white diamonds to give each piece extra sparkle, like the Venetian Princess Bracelet from world-renowned jeweller Roberto Coin — or the Shamballa Alliance Ring from Shamballa Jewels.

Not only does the use of more than one metal create the distinctive red-pink shade, but it also helps to strengthen the metal. Pure yellow gold is relatively soft compared to other metals like titanium or steel, which are often used to make luxury watches. This makes yellow gold slightly more vulnerable to damage. Creating a metal alloy like rose gold will strengthen jewellery, making it less susceptible to tarnishing and scratches. But, like all precious metals, it needs to be cared for properly and should be polished and cleaned regularly.

Why Choose Rose Gold Jewellery from Frost of London? 

From the Diamond Princess Flower Bracelet from Roberto Coin to the Pain De Sucre 18ct Ring from legendary jewellery FRED, rose gold jewellery makes a beautiful and original gift with highly romantic undertones. Whether you’re buying something special for a loved one — or treating yourself to a new luxury piece — rose gold has many benefits, from it’s unique appearance to its bold yet beautiful character. 

Interested in luxury rose gold jewellery? Explore our vast collection of rose gold rings, earrings, necklaces and bracelets — for both women and men — for all occasions. As an independent high-end jeweller, we promise to handle your valuable order with excellence. And we offer free worldwide shipping on all orders.